Jackson Memorial Hospital Emergency Medicine Journal Club
The earliest references to a journal club was found in a book of memoirs and letters by the late Sir James Paget, a British surgeon, who describes a group at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in London in the mid-19th century as “a kind of club … a small room over a baker’s shop near the Hospital-gate where we could sit and read the journals.”
Later in 1875 William Osler developed it as a means for busy clinicians to maintain proficiency with ever evolving medical science. While, Tinsley Harrison, the famous creator of Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine hosted a journal club at his house twice a month where one member of the group would present a research paper and the others would criticize it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journal_club)
Today, over 5000 biomedical publications appear every day. The JMH-EM Journal Club is a collaborative effort that aims at addressing the challenges of finding, appraising and implementing evidence-based advances in the emergency medical practice.
The JMH-EM Journal Club is hosted the third Thursday of the month. Webcasted via Webex and Twitter feed under #JMHEMJC
Jackson Memorial EM JMH JC Template (Click on text to open ppt)
Links to JCs and Review Blogs
- Annals of Emergency Medicine Journal Club
- R.E.B.E.L EM Reviews
- Academic Life in Emergency Medicine
- EBM Gone Wild
Evidence Based Medicine Resources
Critical appraisal is the systematic evaluation of clinical research papers in order to establish:
- Does this study address a clearly focused question?
- Did the study use valid methods to address this question?
- Are the valid results of this study important?
- Are these valid, important results applicable to my patient or population?
If the answer to any of these questions is “no”, you can save yourself the trouble of reading the rest of it.
Critical Appraisal Worksheets (CEBM)
- Systematic Review Critical Appraisal Sheet
- Diagnosis Critical Appraisal Sheet
- Prognosis Critical Appraisal Sheet
- Therapy / RCT Critical Appraisal Sheet
- PICO Critical Appraisal Sheet (PDF)
- PICO Critical Appraisal Sheet (MS-Word)
Oxford University Center for Evidence-Based Medicine
PICO and EBM Search Youtube Videos